The judges for this year’s Devon Farm Business Awards have had the difficult task of picking the winners from an outstanding short-list of entries.
The farm businesses which have made the shortlist represent a fascinating cross section of Devon farming as it is today, ranging as they do from highly intensive, large-scale businesses, through to small-scale organic producers supplying premium markets. Family farms are strongly represented, as you would expect in the county Devon, and there are plenty of younger farmers on the short-list, and not just in the Best Young Farmer category.
Now in their fifth year, the awards are organised by the Addington Fund, the Devon County Agricultural Association (DCAA) and leading regional solicitors Stephens Scown. There are eight categories: Best Commercial Farmer, Best Dairy Farmer, Best Woman in Farming, Best Young Farmer, The CAAV John Neason Farm Diversification Award and Farming Champion, with the overall winner being crowned Devon’s Farmer of the Year. There is also a Lifetime Achievement Award which recognises someone who has given their all across the industry over a lifetime.
The awards will be announced and presented at a dinner on the eve of the Devon County Show by Susie Murray from Stephens Scown and category sponsors, with Minette Batters, the President of the National Farmers’ Union giving an after dinner speech.
Best Commercial Farmer
- Peter & James Coleman, Creedy Carver
- David, Dawn, James and Edward Verney, DCW & DA Verney & Son
- David Merrin, Hendham Farm
Best Dairy Farmer
- J & A Williams and sons, Higher Hampton
- Alan & Donna Webber, Hensley Farm Limited
- Nick & Kate Bowden, Higher Odham Farm
The CAAV John Neason Diversification Award
- Lester & Helen Bowker, Gateshayes Farm Partnership
- J&L Perkin, Dartington Dairy
- Vicki Lawrence, Knightstone Farm Glamping
Best Young Farmer
- Rob and Ben Yendell, Wood Barton
- Molly Westwood, Panda Holsteins
- James Banbury, Frankaborough
- Megan, Ross, Jack and Sam Broom, Logshayne Farm
Best Woman in Farming
- Jacqui Lanning, Devonshire Poultry Limited
- Danielle Preistley, St Boniface Veterinary Clinic
- Sarah Baker, Gnatts Farm
- Dudley & Frances Luxton, D Luxton & Partners
- John Varley, Clinton Estate
- Robin Milton, Higher Barton Farm
Additional Categories Awarded on the night;
Lifetime Achievement Award
Devon’s Farmer of the Year
We are grateful for the support that Barclays have given by match funding the auction/raffle that will be taking place